Fitbit burn brings awareness to Lithium-ion batteries overheating

Fitbit burn

Yuma,Arizona -  A popular electronic device that helps you keep track of calories you burn can actually burn you.

The "Fitbit Flex" is another device behind the recent Samsung phones that have been exploding while using.Jesus Mendivil is the owner of Yuma Tech Monkey, and says the chances of it happening are extremely rare, but that's not what happened to Dina Mitchell from Wisconsin. She says the device caught on fire while using.

" I got pieces of plastic burnt into my arm. My nephew and his whole classroom has these. Can you imagine what'd it do to a child."

The tech company issued a statement saying, "We have spoken with Ms. Mitchell and are actively investigating this issue. We are not aware of any other complaints of this nature and see no reason for people to stop wearing their Flex 2. We will share additional information as we are able."

So, what is the cause of these rare explosions from devices we've been seeing in the last year? Mendivil says it could be the lithium-ion battery. A battery that most hand held devices have in them.

"It could be anything from a smart watch to a Samsung phone to your cameras, i phones, pretty much anything handheld."

Temperatures are warming up in the desert southwest and a battery inside your device thta is either punctured or too hot- could explode.As far as the Fitibt is concerned, Mendivil says to take extreme caution when it comes to your devices getting overheated.

"It could've been a faulty battery, maybe manufacture defected, or a short circuit that could cause the battery to could go so many different ways."

comments powered by Disqus

Popular Stories