YUMA, Ariz. - The Rural Metro Fire Department responded to multiple fires throughout New Year's Day in Yuma and the Foothills area.
Rural Metro Fire Dept. received a report of a vehicle fire Monday morning and a shed on fire. Yuma County Sheriff’s Office and Rural Metro Dispatch centers received multiple 911 calls regarding the incident. Rural Metro Fire personnel arrived on scene and found the car fully on fire. The car is a total loss and was put out quickly with no injuries reported.
At about 3:51 a.m. Rural Metro several 911 calls of a fire at Fisher’s Landing near Swede Hill. Firefighters arrived at the scene with Yuma Proving Grounds Fire Department who arrived first on scene and confirmed there was a brush fire. Rural Metro Fire remained on scene of that fire, working to put it out and handed it over at 05:56 a.m. to Bureau Land Management.
Another fire broke out at 2:00 p.m. in the area of the 1900 block of 20th Street for pallets on fire. Rural Metro arrived on scene and determined it was a couple of pallets next to a shed that was on fire and quickly put the fire out.
At 3:30 p.m., a fire was started at 1000 block of N. Frontage Rd. in the Foothills area. Rural Metro engines arrived on scene and found one motorhome completely on fire and another beside it on fire. Multiple explosions were heard and those were the tires popping. The fire was knocked down quickly but the vehicles continued to smoke due to hot spots. There were several flare-ups from the fuels on board of the motorhomes said Charly McMurdie with Rural Metro Fire Department.
These vehicles were in a storage lot and sometimes the propane tanks are left on them. There were also refrigerants from the refrigerator and engine fluids that firefighters were working at containing. There were three vehicles were a total loss and a couple of the surrounding vehicles were also damaged. There were no injuries reported.
Another fire was reported at 5:50 p.m. as personnel had just cleared from the storage RV fire and responded to the fire on Chico Lane. The firefighters reported there were several hay bales on fire and that is was contained to a small area. The fire was put out by 6:30 p.m.