News

Yuma trailer fire caused by candle

Yuma trailer fire caused by candle

YUMA, Ariz. - A man was left homeless after a candle left un-attended caused his trailer to light on fire.

The fire happened off South Magnolia Avenue a little before 9:00 p.m. on Sunday.

"I just saw the trailer go up in smoke," says neighbor Susan Long. 

Fire officials say the resident and his dog were not in the trailer when it caught on fire.

"The dog is fine. I don't see the cats around but I'm sure they took off after the fire," said Long.

Long says before fire fighters arrived many neighbors gathered to help.

"There were like five or six guys dragging their hoses as far as it goes, buckets and everything," said Long.

Long said the owner of the trailer didn't have electricity and constantly relied on candles for light. Now he's being helped by the American Red Cross of Yuma to get back on his feet.

Fire officials say to have stable bases for candles and never leave them burning unattended. They say to also consider a battery powered candle as opposed to an open flame for lighting.

"We do always caution people to candle with care. Do not leave candles burning if your not there with them. If you leave the room you should be extinguishing them," says Yuma Fire Department Public Information Officer Mike Erfert.


comments powered by Disqus