An ammonia explosion was reported at Yuma Express Cooling off of Avenue 4E and Gila Ridge Road in Yuma Friday afternoon.
The Yuma Fire Department says several people were exposed. Twelve people were taken to Yuma Regional Medical Center, with various degrees of exposure to ammonia. Two of those treated were flown out to Phoenix for futher medical attention.
The Yuma Fire Department says it may have been caused by a failure of a connection to a condensing coil on a cooling tower.
A hazmat team was on scene to make sure those who were exposed were treated properly.
Gila Ridge Road was closed between Avenue 3E and Avenue 5E so safety personnel could get to those who needed assistance but was reopened shortly before 6 p.m. Friday.