News

2-year-old dies after inhaling popcorn

A toddler has died after inhaling popcorn. Tragically, one family found out too and they hope to warn others, according to The Epoch Times.

The Epoch Times reports that in 2016, two-year-old Mirranda Grace Lawson, from Virginia, was just a baby in arms when she began choking after a popcorn kernel became lodged in her windpipe. It was her mom Alison's birthday when Mirranda ran into the living room with eyes huge and no sound. Those were the last moments they shared before Mirranda fell to the ground as her parents swept her mouth and started CPR. Reports show when they ambulance got there, Mirranda's heart stopped.

According to The Epoch Times, Mirranda had inhaled a piece of popcorn and it was lodged in her throat blocking off her airways. Mirranda fought for her life as her heart started beating, she was intubated and placed on a ventilator and transferred to Children's Hospital at VCU.

Reports show the doctors declared her brain dead and wanted to conduct an apnea test which would involve removing her from life support to see if she could breathe on her own.

Her parents refused and took the fight to court arguing their little girl just needed time to recover, The Epoch Times reported. As the weeks passed, the judge made a ruling to allow the hospital to proceed with the test. The family appealed, but sadly Mirranda passed away during the appeal.

 

 

 


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories